Actual Sellers' Smile
- Fixed Retainers are bonded directly to the inside of your teeth.
- Daily use of floss, waterpiks, and/or proxy “christmas tree” brushes will dislodge food debris from accumulating around the wires. Floss threaders or super floss can be used to guide the floss below the wire if needed.
- Thorough brushing around your retainer is necessary to keep plaque from accumulating around the wires.
Actual Sellers’ Smile
- Wear your retainers every night, unless Dr. Sellers instructs otherwise.
- Take your retainers out when eating…and ALWAYS put retainers in their case!
- Clean retainers thoroughly once a day with a toothbrush and toothpaste. Use cool water. Brushing retainers removes the plaque and eliminates odors. Retainer Brite® or other orthodontic appliance cleaners can be used, but do not take the place of brushing.
- When retainers are not in your mouth, they should ALWAYS be in a retainer case. Pets love to chew on them!
- Initially, you may find it difficult to speak. Practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud to get used to them faster.
- Retainers are breakable, so treat them with care. If retainers are lost or broken, call us immediately.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your retainers, or your retainers need adjusting, call us. Do not try to adjust them yourself.
- Always bring your retainers to your appointments.
- With proper care, retainers should last for several years.
- Remove retainers when swimming.
- Keep retainers away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, and napkins.